Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Of Books and Bagpipes by Paige Shelton

Wednesday is upon us and I have just finished reading Of Books and Bagpipes by Paige Shelton. This is the second book in the Scottish Bookshop Mysteries and a wonderful follow up at that. First of all being set in Scotland is something that I very much enjoyed, never being there myself as an armchair traveler I fully enjoyed the imagery that Paige created. The mystery and the history sucked me in and it was a very intricately woven tale. I did not have it figured out which I truly enjoyed and I loved main character Delaney even more with each word, situation and chapter. Delaney is brave, smart and quick. The characters are rich and as inviting as the cozy Scottish setting. I am very thrilled to have read this upcoming April cozy.
Delaney Nichols has settled so comfortably into her new life in Edinburgh that she truly feels it’s become more home than her once beloved Kansas. Her job at the Cracked Spine, a bookshop that specializes in rare manuscripts as well as other sundry valuable historical objects, is everything she had dreamed, with her new boss, Edwin MacAlister, entrusting her more and more with bigger jobs. Her latest task includes a trip to Castle Doune, a castle not far out of Edinburgh, to retrieve a hard-to-find edition of an old Scottish comic, an “Oor Wullie,” in a cloak and dagger transaction that Edwin has orchestrated.While taking in the sights of the distant Highlands from the castle’s ramparts, Delaney is startled when she spots a sandal-clad foot at the other end of the roof. Unfortunately, the foot’s owner is very much dead and, based on the William Wallace costume he’s wearing, perfectly matches the description of the man who was supposed to bring the Oor Wullie. As Delaney rushes to call off some approaching tourists and find the police, she comes across the Oor Wullie, its pages torn and fluttering around a side wall of the castle. Instinct tells her to take the pages and hide them under her jacket. It’s not until she returns to the Cracked Spine that she realizes just how complicated this story is and endeavors to untangle the tricky plot of why someone wanted this man dead, all before getting herself booked for murder.

You can order a copy the April release, Of Books and Bagpipes from Amazon by clicking here.
Thank you for joining me for a cup of tea and a cozy mystery review I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment